A pair of ormolu and porphyry candelabra in the manner of Johann Zech S:t Petersburg late 18t century
In ormolu bronze and Swedish Rännås Porphyry.
Over a square base a urn shaped body of Porphyry issuing three curved candlearms joined together with garlands of cut glass and centered with leaf decorations. Each with a faceted central glass steam terminating with sprays of faceted drops.
Bronzier Johann Zech
German born Johann Zech was in the late 18th century called by Catherine the Great to come to Russia and S:t Petersburg where he started his workshop. There he had many commissions for the Imperial family and was responsible of nearly all the chandeliers made for the Palace Pavlovsk outside S.t Petersburg and other Imperial palaces. He often worked with Fischer, another craftsman of German origin.
Alvdalens porfhyry mill
Alvdalens porfhyry mill started in 1788 by Erik Hagström. The mill produced decorative objects in porphyry, often with gilt bronze decorations.
In 1818 the Swedish king Karl IV Johan bought the mill and started export of the swedish porfhyry to several countries, also trading it for gilt bronze objects from France, which were a passion of his.
In the mid 19th century the mill was destroyed by a fire and after that the production came to a stop.